Launching an e-commerce shop is a very interesting option through which any type of business can start operating on the digital market today, thereby increasing their turnover, reaching new markets and improving their sales.
Choosing Wix to create an online shop facilitates the entire process of design and development, while the user maintains control over the various aspects of their e-commerce site. Anyone can purchase a Wix plan and create their own virtual shop in a simple and intuitive way. All it takes is a few hours and you will be ready to start selling online and getting the most out of your business.
What is Wix?
Creating an online shop with Wix is an ideal option for those seeking greater control over the entire construction process, but who do not have the skills or knowledge required to develop their own website from scratch.
Wix offers a drag and drop system that facilitates shop creation, by placing and resizing its various elements in an intuitive way. Wix offers a wide variety of templates from which to choose, making the process of creating your e-commerce site even easier.
Why opt for Wix to create an online shop
- Its site-building system is very simple and can be used by anyone, without any web-programming knowledge (drag and drop, templates and add-ons).
- The Wix service includes cloud hosting, saving the hassle of finding the perfect hosting service for your project and setting it up, etc.
- Wix takes care of security for all the online shops created through its service, allowing users to rest easy in this regard.
- Shops created with Wix are responsive: in other words, they automatically adapt to the specific characteristics of mobile phones and tablets (smaller screen, vertical orientation, touch-screen functionality, etc.).
- Users can choose from a variety of add-ons to implement new features in their shop (buttons to share on social media, professional blog, marketing tools, etc.).
- It includes all the basic elements of an e-commerce shop, such as the shopping basket, payment gateways, cross-selling or privacy and cookies policies.
- It comes with SEO tools to optimise the site and allow it to reach the top positions on Google results pages.
Step-by-step guide to creating an e-commerce shop with Wix
Read on to find our simple, step-by-step guide on how to create a virtual shop with Wix.
1. Wix account registration
The first step to start creating an e-commerce shop with Wix is to visit its official site: www.wix.com. Depending on where you are located, you will be redirected to the platform’s corresponding subdomain for that country.
Highlighted on the Wix homepage, you will find the “Start now” button. Click here to start the process of registering for an account on the platform, an essential requirement in order to access Wix services.
The process of creating a Wix account is very simple, quick and intuitive. You will need to enter your basic data, along with your email address and a safe password. You will also have the option to automatically create a Wix account by linking it to your Facebook or Google account.
2. Select a Wix plan
Wix offers a range of plans so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. To start creating your online shop, you will need to choose from the following options.
- Connect domain. This basic account offers a personalised domain and is perfect for small websites or those just starting out. Normally, the people or companies that choose this option end up leaving it for a more advanced plan, once the shop starts to work and generate sales.
- Combo. This is one of the most used plans, as it adapts to the needs of the majority of web projects. The Combo plan is a great option for those looking to create a small online shop without having to make any significant investment.
- Unlimited. Business owners, professionals or freelancers need greater control over the various aspects of their shop – something this plan can offer them.
- VIP. The VIP plan improves on the rest in terms of storage and hours of video, and includes tools to add a more professional touch to the e-commerce shop (logo files on social media, for example). This plan comes with 24/7 support, a vital service in order to guarantee the continuity of this type of business.
For those looking for a more professional level and whose aim is to create an e-commerce shop welcoming a large quantity of users and with high sales volumes, Wix offers three different plans:
- Business Basic.
- Business Unlimited.
- Business VIP.
All these professional plans come with 24/7 support and include better conditions through which to host a professional e-commerce site capable of operating efficiently and competitively on the market.
3. Choose a template
To start creating the website, after registering your account and selecting the right plan, you will need to choose a template from the hundreds of options offered by Wix. With your template chosen, you will already have the design and basic structure of your website in place.
4. Add products
It’s time to upload products to the shop. The process is very simple: all you need to do is create a title and add a description for each product. You will also need to include the sale price and upload a few photos to be displayed on the product page.
It is important to optimise the product page with good descriptions and valuable information, as well as using high-quality images to help users make their purchasing decision.
5. Set up other options
Once you have your products uploaded to the Wix shop, you will need to configure two important options in order for your e-commerce site to start selling products:
- Payment gateway. You will need to enable the payment gateways offered to shop users. It is important to include the most popular payment methods, to avoid having customers abandon their shopping basket if they are unable to pay (PayPal, bank cards, Bizum, etc.).
- Shipping method. Shipping options will also need to be configured correctly in order to sell online. Remember that offering a few products with free shipping can be a great way to increase sales.
6. Connect a domain and customise the design
Lastly, all you need to do is connect a domain with Wix so that users can access your shop. It’s also time to fine-tune your e-commerce site’s configuration, adjust a few aspects of its design and apply SEO techniques to improve web positioning.
Adding a few extra add-ons can make all the difference in a Wix shop, which is why we recommend taking a look through the various options available for your Wix shop, allowing you to improve the services offered by your online shop.
Knowing the steps to create an online shop with Wix makes opting for this platform to launch your online business all the more attractive. There’s no need to worry about hosting or having to deal with complex web-technology knowledge: with Wix, you can create a modern and professional e-commerce shop and start selling your products or offering your services online.